Sunday, August 23, 2009

Volunteer Visitors Needed for Immigrant Detainees

Then the king will say to those at his right hand, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.”

Matthew 25: 34-36



Do you know what is happening to your immigrant neighbor?

At the present time authorities are holding more than 1,000 immigrants, subject to deportation, in local, criminal jails in New Jersey. Since the failure of comprehensive immigration reform in 2006, our government has instituted a policy of aggressive enforcement which nationwide has increased those held in detention by more than 30% to 420,000 per year. Here in New Jersey, this mass detention policy has placed the bulk of detainees in county jails. Previously, most New Jersey detainees were held at the Elizabeth Detention Center, a non criminal facility with a capacity of only 320.

While most detainees are segregated from criminals in local jails, they are subject to the same conditions. However, immigrant detainees have fewer rights than criminals and in many cases will be held for longer periods.

First Friends, a private charitable organization, has been visiting and providing non-legal services to detainees for over 8 years. We have received permission to contact the 350 immigrant detainees held at the Hudson County Correctional Center in Kearny and need volunteer visitors and pen pals for these unfortunate, confined neighbors in our midst.

If you, your family, friends, congregation or any organization you belong to can help, please contact us at 908-965-0455 or firstfriends2@juno.com.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home